I’ve been feeling a blog incubating, and now it’s ready to hatch. Don’t worry, it hasn’t been incubating since my last post—more like since this afternoon. Although the title suggests otherwise, I’m not writing about abortion rights this evening. I’m writing about politics in
Sadly, my understanding of politics barely scratches the veneer. My blog fodder starts with the two big political conventions over the past few weeks and ends with my and Annie’s exploration of the “Issues” section of the Libertarian Party’s website this evening.
There are a lot of things about our country that worry me. The federal deficit is the biggest. I also worry about our nation’s infrastructure (energy, transportation, etc.). I worry about our lack of a viable long-term energy policy. And I worry about the “War on Terror”. Or is it the “War on Terrorism”? (What, I mean, who, is it exactly that we’re at war with? Could we call it the war against Al-Qaeda and the Taliban?) I could go on, but I think that list is plenty long for this evening.
I just took a short dish-drying break, but now I’m back. It was actually a pretty productive break. I realized that the ground I want to cover with this post is much larger than I have the time or insight to cover. Annie asked a barrage of questions, such as “Why is it that we only have two political parties?” I’m at a little bit of a loss—I need to do some research. Doesn’t it have something to do with Andrew Jackson…
As a side note, I do some of my best thinking while washing the dishes. When we left our privileged enclave on the northern outskirts of
Back to why I opened this can of worms that is politics in
I’ll try hard to be politically correct here: I think that the Libertarian Party is kind of kooky. As hard as they try, they just can't convince me that the market will save all the endangered species if the government will just keep out of it.
There must be something out there for me. I haven’t checked out the Green Party website yet. And I guess there’s always Ralph Nader, a party unto himself. I’m trying hard not to be cynical—I just really haven’t seen change that I can believe in yet. I think Annie’s question is a great one: why can’t we have more parties?
3 comments:
Party on Garth! Party on Wayne!
How refreshing to see a new post... :)
I agree, politics are messed up these days. I'm not really too happy with any of the major parties, but then, none of the minor parties offer me what I want either. I guess what I want is a theocracy, but that's just not gonna work right now... Alas.
What I hate the most is all the pandering going on. Nobody really sticks with what they believe in, they just bend to the popular catchphrases and activist-pushed philosophies and think, "Well, that is a totally different direction from the direction the forefathers set up, so that must be a good thing, 'cause change is always good, right?" When, in reality, the change is taking us down a long, dark road that ends in stuff I don't want to contemplate. I don't know if that made sense or not, but I just long for leaders who look at things from a moral perspective instead of a "change for the popular" perspective.
Anyway, I'm glad to see you guys posting again. Andrea, hello! How is your life? I love that you wash dishes together... Dishes tend to be a lonely affair for me. I think we should adopt your tradition!
You're right...don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, as they say.
Post a Comment