Monday, October 15, 2007

Work it!

Last week, Andrea and I actually acted on our good intentions and started going to the U of A gym. It doesn't seem like it should be so hard to make the transition from thinking that it would be a really good idea to start exercising to actually putting on exercise attire and going to the gym. But it's a huge chasm that we haven't been able to cross--until last Monday.

I had no idea that the U of A gym was so nice. It is big, new, and well lit. It has two stories, two basketball courts, two weight rooms (one with tough-sounding music and one with no music), two locker rooms (men and women), and a lot of little courts (for racquetball and other court sports with crazy names). There's also a little dance room. All along the big open areas there are cardio machines (with no annoying music blaring!) and even a few ping-pong tables. It's a pretty great set up.

So, Monday night, Andrea did the stationary bike and I did the rowing machine until a stationary bike next to Andrea opened up. When I joined Andrea, she said, "you were rowing that whole time?" I didn't think much of it until two days later, when I experience some serious rowing pains. I decided not to row for a while.

Friday we went back and discovered the gold mine of elliptical machines in the music-free weight room. These machines are better than the others because the arm pieces move. I actually lifted some weights for the first time since before I got mono over a year ago. It felt good, but now I'm in pain. Of course it will pass--just a little speed bump on the road to a bulging physique. If we keep going regularly, at some point I might even start wearing muscle shirts and going to the tough music weight room...

2 comments:

kiddle97 said...

Yea! An update! Tell Andrea good job for going to the gym. I'm still a wimpy and won't venture outside of my own home to exercise. Maybe when I'm chiseled ... nah. :) And thanks for the info on your law degree and other passions. Brent's like you, he loves being able to say, "Nope, you can't do this! Nope! you can't do that! Listen dude, you HAVE to do this! Do it now or I'll sic the dogs on you!" Ok, so he doesn't really say that, but he loves the idea of it anyway!

Kelly said...

Yay! I found your blog. It is fun to hear what you are all up to!